- Moravia wins dual against Wayne
- Swim team preps for sectionals, honors former coach Sayres
- Reds fall to Ft. Madison, Kirksville
- Redettes fall on road to Clarke
- Moravia falls in OT against Lamoni
- Balanced scoring effort gives Reds win
- Big Reds claim 6th-straight win
- Bluegrass Conference Tourney begins Saturday
- Six Mat Club wrestlers claim titles
- Gonnerman signs with Marshalltown
Swim team preps for sectionals, honors former coach Sayres
- Updated: January 31, 2014
Five members of the Red Rays swim team will be competing in Ankeny on Saturday, Feb. 1 in sectional competition after the team recently completed their seven meet regular season.
The Rathbun Lake Area YMCA swim team welcomes members ages 6-17. The team practices at the YMCA and competes in both a summer and winter season. Winter season practices begin in October with competition beginning in December, which includes seven regular meets. Sectionals take place in February and the state competition is in March. This season’s state competition will be March 3 in Marshalltown.
According to coach Sherri Meng, the summer season is more laid back. The team competes in regular season meets from June to August but doesn’t participate in sectionals or state competition.
Meng said that her focus as a coach is to instill self-confidence into the team members. She wants them to recognize their potential and the abilities they have. Swimmers of all levels are welcome on the team and the focus of competition is to better a swimmer’s time, not necessarily to bring home a ribbon.
Former coach Nancy Sayres, who passed away in 2012, was instrumental in beginning and nurturing the swim team. She also taught many children throughout Appanoose County in swim lessons over the years. To honor her, the YMCA installed a new scoreboard for the swim team over the summer bought with contributions to Sayres’ memorial. The scoreboard also includes a memorial plaque to Sayres.